Do you agree with the following sterotypes?
– Women are more emotional than men, but better at communicating.
– Men are better at maths, science and “technical” subjects, whereas women are better at arts and literature.
– Men are better drivers and pilots than women. Women make better primary school teachers and nurses.
– Men are stronger than women, both physically and emotionally.
What is the stereotype of people from the countries in the list below?
Do you think the stereotype is true?
Britain / The USA / Australia / Ireland
Germany / France / Spain / Italy
Japan / China
Brazil / India
(Tutor’s country) / (Student’s country)
In your country, are there stereotypes of people from different regions or cities? What do they say about people from YOUR town or region? Is it true?
Some people have stereotypes about other things. Do you agree or disagree with these ideas?
– Young people are irresponsible and need to be “guided” by their parents and teachers so they don’t make bad decisions.
– Older people are wiser than young people and make good leaders.
– Older people can have fixed ideas, and be conservative and resistant to change.
– Football players and fashion models are often stupid.
– People who do low-status jobs (cleaners, road-workers) are probably less intelligent.
– People who work on a farm or in a factory are more honest than those who work in commerce or business.
– People with piercings and tattoos are probably political radicals.
– Well-dressed professionals (doctors, lawyers) are more trustworthy.
– Attractive, tall, slim people are nicer and are likely to be more successful in life.
– Religious people are more “moral” and “conservative” than non-religious people.
– Blonde women are likely to be less intelligent or serious than dark-haired women.
– Red haired people have a “fiery” personality.